Matching Federer slam haul a `dream` says Nadal
London: Rafael Nadal played down his chances of matching Roger Federer`s Grand Slam haul on Sunday, saying the likelihood of reaching his rival`s record of 16 titles remained "a dream."
After adding four more Grand Slam titles in the past year the 25-year-old Spaniard world number one now has 10 to his name and will be targeting an 11th at Wimbledon over the next fortnight.
Victory at the All England Club would see Nadal move alongside Bjorn Borg and Rod Laver in the all-time standings, one behind Roy Emerson on 12, three behind Pete Sampras (14) and five behind Federer.
But Nadal dismissed suggestions that Federer`s record was in his sights on Sunday, saying he was "very far" from the Swiss master`s benchmark.
"I am not close to the 16 of Roger," Nadal said. "Sixteen is a lot. "We can dream about a lot of things. For me it`s a dream. Maybe not for you." He added.
Reigning champion Nadal, who opens the defence of his title with a first round match against American Michael Russell on Centre Court on Monday, enjoyed a stellar 2010, scooping the French, Wimbledon and US Open crowns.
But although Nadal defended his French crown at Roland Garros earlier this month, he doubted whether he would be able to emulate his feats of last season.
"Last year was in my opinion very impossible to repeat, three Grand Slams in a row," Nadal said. "I am very happy about what`s going on this season. But I don`t think I will repeat what I did last year for sure."
Virtually invincible on the red clay of Roland Garros, Nadal has slowly but surely parked his tanks on the lawns of Wimbledon in recent years, reaching four of the last five finals. The only year he missed was 2009, when a recurrence of a knee injury ruled him out of the tournament.
"I said 1,000 times that my dream was always to play well here in Wimbledon," Nadal said. "In the beginning of my career everybody talked a lot that with my style of game it`s gonna be very difficult to play very well here.
"I did my best since the start of my career to play well here, playing the week after Roland Garros, coming here one week before, having the right preparation as much as I can to be ready for this tournament.
"The only problem of grass sometimes, is if you play against a big, big server, because the game is too fast and it`s not nice to play because you feel that for a lot of games you don`t touch the ball."
"I don`t have the volley of Roger, for sure. But I think I`m fast and my movements are enough good to go to the net. I have a good enough volley to do it," he said.
Nadal meanwhile is already eyeing the defence of his Olympic gold medal next year, when Wimbledon will host the tennis tournament of the 2012 London Games.
"The Olympics are a very special event. The experience that you can live on the village, and, you know, live these moments with the rest of the sports people, that then is something special," Nadal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared