Maya cracks the whip on UP sugar mills
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has lodged complaint against 39 private sugar mills, accusing them of violating rules and norms with respect to procurement of sugarcane, weighment, payment and hoarding of stocks.
"FIRs have been lodged against as many as 39 private sugar mills for various types of defaults and offences committed by them," state Sugarcane Commissioner Sudhir Kumar Bobde told here on Saturday.
"This follows raids carried out in 26 districts, where major irregularities have been detected in the 39 mills so far," he said, adding, "This will remain a continuous process and similar action would follow against other defaulters."
The sugar mill groups already in the dock are the Bajaj Hindustan, Triveni, Uttam, Simbhauli and Mawana.
Referring to the irregularities, the cane commissioner said, "The mills were found to violate all rules and norms with respect to procurement of sugarcane, weighment, payment and also hoarding of stocks."
Some of the mills were also holding illegal stocks of molasses, that was being sold, bypassing all regulations, he said.
The mill owners have sought refuge under the banner of UP Sugar Mills Association, which has decided to take up their cause with the government.
"Mill owners are being targeted for no fault of theirs; this is sheer harassment and we will raise our voice against this," association secretary K.N. Shukla told.
Meanwhile, Leader of the opposition in the state assembly Shivpal Yadav lashed out at the government for the punitive action against sugar mill owners.
"This is being done only with a view to extort money from sugar mill owners; if sugar prices have gone up, it is because of the faulty policies of the Mayawati government," the Samajwadi Party leader alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers