Maya cracks the whip on UP sugar mills
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has lodged complaint against 39 private sugar mills, accusing them of violating rules and norms with respect to procurement of sugarcane, weighment, payment and hoarding of stocks.
"FIRs have been lodged against as many as 39 private sugar mills for various types of defaults and offences committed by them," state Sugarcane Commissioner Sudhir Kumar Bobde told here on Saturday.
"This follows raids carried out in 26 districts, where major irregularities have been detected in the 39 mills so far," he said, adding, "This will remain a continuous process and similar action would follow against other defaulters."
The sugar mill groups already in the dock are the Bajaj Hindustan, Triveni, Uttam, Simbhauli and Mawana.
Referring to the irregularities, the cane commissioner said, "The mills were found to violate all rules and norms with respect to procurement of sugarcane, weighment, payment and also hoarding of stocks."
Some of the mills were also holding illegal stocks of molasses, that was being sold, bypassing all regulations, he said.
The mill owners have sought refuge under the banner of UP Sugar Mills Association, which has decided to take up their cause with the government.
"Mill owners are being targeted for no fault of theirs; this is sheer harassment and we will raise our voice against this," association secretary K.N. Shukla told.
Meanwhile, Leader of the opposition in the state assembly Shivpal Yadav lashed out at the government for the punitive action against sugar mill owners.
"This is being done only with a view to extort money from sugar mill owners; if sugar prices have gone up, it is because of the faulty policies of the Mayawati government," the Samajwadi Party leader alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi