Maya cracks the whip on UP sugar mills
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has lodged complaint against 39 private sugar mills, accusing them of violating rules and norms with respect to procurement of sugarcane, weighment, payment and hoarding of stocks.
"FIRs have been lodged against as many as 39 private sugar mills for various types of defaults and offences committed by them," state Sugarcane Commissioner Sudhir Kumar Bobde told here on Saturday.
"This follows raids carried out in 26 districts, where major irregularities have been detected in the 39 mills so far," he said, adding, "This will remain a continuous process and similar action would follow against other defaulters."
The sugar mill groups already in the dock are the Bajaj Hindustan, Triveni, Uttam, Simbhauli and Mawana.
Referring to the irregularities, the cane commissioner said, "The mills were found to violate all rules and norms with respect to procurement of sugarcane, weighment, payment and also hoarding of stocks."
Some of the mills were also holding illegal stocks of molasses, that was being sold, bypassing all regulations, he said.
The mill owners have sought refuge under the banner of UP Sugar Mills Association, which has decided to take up their cause with the government.
"Mill owners are being targeted for no fault of theirs; this is sheer harassment and we will raise our voice against this," association secretary K.N. Shukla told.
Meanwhile, Leader of the opposition in the state assembly Shivpal Yadav lashed out at the government for the punitive action against sugar mill owners.
"This is being done only with a view to extort money from sugar mill owners; if sugar prices have gone up, it is because of the faulty policies of the Mayawati government," the Samajwadi Party leader alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list