Maya seeks more money for memorials and statues
Lucknow: Unfazed by the criticism over its statue-erecting spree, the Mayawati government of Uttar Pradesh has sought the assembly sanction for an additional Rs.556 crore (Rs.5.56 billion) for the projects, and in contrast sought just Rs.250 crore to deal with the prevailing drought in the state.
Over the years, Rs.5,000 crore have been allocated towards Chief Minister Mayawati`s dream projects since the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) came to power in May 2007.
On Monday, she raised a fresh demand for Rs 556 crore in the Rs.7,559 crore supplementary budget tabled before the state assembly here.
And a mere Rs 250 crores for fighting the prevailing drought.
Ironically, the state has been after the central government for release of a special economic package to deal with the drought-hit districts that cover almost the entire state.
Leaders of all opposition parties, including Leader of Opposition Shivpal Yadav, Congress Legislature Party leader Pramod Tiwari and Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Om Prakash Singh flayed the government for its "obvious indifference and apathy towards the drought."
They were also critical of the chief minister`s craving for new aircraft in her fleet. A special Rs.10 crore provision has been made to purchase a helicopter.
Unanimously condemning Mayawati for allocating much more money for memorials and statues than for fighting the prevailing drought, some opposition members even staged a walk-out to mark their protest against the "blatant extravagance".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister