Mayawati seeks Rs 2000 cr from Centre for power supply
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati on Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and demanded
Rs 2000 crore to pay for the 10 hours of power supply in 58
drought-hit districts of the state.
She said the state government was buying power at the
rate of Rs 8 per unit to provide 10 hours of power supply to
the drought-hit districts including Bundelkhand and demanded
that the Centre pay Rs 2000 crore needed for buying power,
official sources said here.
Mayawati also sought a "positive response" from the
Centre in approving a Rs 7789 crore package submitted by the
state government to the Agriculture Ministry to carry out
various long-term and short-term measures.
According to sources, the CM also referred to the A S
Samra Committee recommendations regarding infrastructure
development in drought-prone areas.
She sought a positive response from the Prime Minister
on a Rs 3866 crore package sent by the UP government to the
Centre to set up power and irrigation facilities in the
drought prone and drought hit districts based on the Samra
She lamented that the Centre has provided UP only with
Rs 15.5 crore package to develop communication network,
including roads in Naxal prone districts. UP had demanded Rs
84 crore for the purpose.
Mayawati also informed Singh that UP has prepared a
standard operating procedure (SOP) to deal with incidents like
the Mumbai terror attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan