Mayookha first woman triple jumper to breach 14m mark
Wujiang (China): Triple jumper Mayookha Johny on Sunday became the first Indian woman to breach 14m mark while creating a new national record en-route to winning bronze in the third and final leg of the Asian Athletics Grand Prix here.
Mayookha produced a big leap of 14.02m to finish third behind two Chinese Xie Limei (14.16m) and Li Yanmei (14.05m). She bettered Kerala state-mate M A Prajusha`s earlier national record of 13.72m set in the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi last year.
Mayookha, who had a disappointing season last year after improving Anju Bobby George`s 2002 national record of 13.67m by just 1 cm at Patiala, since lost the national record to Prajusha (13.72m) at the Delhi Commonwealth Games.
She had two identical 13.71m jumps, which was 1 cm short of Prajusha`s best, in the first two legs of the Asian Grand Prix at Jiaxing (May 22) and Kunshan (May 26) while finishing fourth and fifth respectively.
Today, a determined Mayookha leapt a national record 13.97m in her first try-out of the evening which ensured a medal for her. She lost rhythm in her next four attempts leaving no mark behind as each time she overstepped the take-off board.
However, her sixth and final jump was perfect and she had become the first Indian woman to go beyond the magical 14m mark by registered her personal best 14.02m.
Seema Antil made it to the podium for the third successive time with yet another bronze medal in women`s discus throw. Her sixth round throw of 51.45m, her best out of three GPs, put her in to third place again.
Chinese duo of Yang Fei (59.45m) and Lin Xiaojing (56.16m) took gold and silver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Football Tourism: PSG will receive $197 million to promote tourism in Qatar
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad