Mayookha first woman triple jumper to breach 14m mark
Wujiang (China): Triple jumper Mayookha Johny on Sunday became the first Indian woman to breach 14m mark while creating a new national record en-route to winning bronze in the third and final leg of the Asian Athletics Grand Prix here.
Mayookha produced a big leap of 14.02m to finish third behind two Chinese Xie Limei (14.16m) and Li Yanmei (14.05m). She bettered Kerala state-mate M A Prajusha`s earlier national record of 13.72m set in the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi last year.
Mayookha, who had a disappointing season last year after improving Anju Bobby George`s 2002 national record of 13.67m by just 1 cm at Patiala, since lost the national record to Prajusha (13.72m) at the Delhi Commonwealth Games.
She had two identical 13.71m jumps, which was 1 cm short of Prajusha`s best, in the first two legs of the Asian Grand Prix at Jiaxing (May 22) and Kunshan (May 26) while finishing fourth and fifth respectively.
Today, a determined Mayookha leapt a national record 13.97m in her first try-out of the evening which ensured a medal for her. She lost rhythm in her next four attempts leaving no mark behind as each time she overstepped the take-off board.
However, her sixth and final jump was perfect and she had become the first Indian woman to go beyond the magical 14m mark by registered her personal best 14.02m.
Seema Antil made it to the podium for the third successive time with yet another bronze medal in women`s discus throw. Her sixth round throw of 51.45m, her best out of three GPs, put her in to third place again.
Chinese duo of Yang Fei (59.45m) and Lin Xiaojing (56.16m) took gold and silver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India