Mayookha first woman triple jumper to breach 14m mark
Wujiang (China): Triple jumper Mayookha Johny on Sunday became the first Indian woman to breach 14m mark while creating a new national record en-route to winning bronze in the third and final leg of the Asian Athletics Grand Prix here.
Mayookha produced a big leap of 14.02m to finish third behind two Chinese Xie Limei (14.16m) and Li Yanmei (14.05m). She bettered Kerala state-mate M A Prajusha`s earlier national record of 13.72m set in the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi last year.
Mayookha, who had a disappointing season last year after improving Anju Bobby George`s 2002 national record of 13.67m by just 1 cm at Patiala, since lost the national record to Prajusha (13.72m) at the Delhi Commonwealth Games.
She had two identical 13.71m jumps, which was 1 cm short of Prajusha`s best, in the first two legs of the Asian Grand Prix at Jiaxing (May 22) and Kunshan (May 26) while finishing fourth and fifth respectively.
Today, a determined Mayookha leapt a national record 13.97m in her first try-out of the evening which ensured a medal for her. She lost rhythm in her next four attempts leaving no mark behind as each time she overstepped the take-off board.
However, her sixth and final jump was perfect and she had become the first Indian woman to go beyond the magical 14m mark by registered her personal best 14.02m.
Seema Antil made it to the podium for the third successive time with yet another bronze medal in women`s discus throw. Her sixth round throw of 51.45m, her best out of three GPs, put her in to third place again.
Chinese duo of Yang Fei (59.45m) and Lin Xiaojing (56.16m) took gold and silver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister