Mayookha wins bronze, books Olympics berth
Kobe (Japan): India won two bronze medals on Saturday through Mayookha Johny in triple jump and Om Prakash Singh Karhana in shot put on the third day of the Asian Athletics Championships in Kobe, Japan.
Mayookha, who won gold in the long jump on the opening day of the event, came up with another good performance in the triple jump. The Kerala girl created a national record, clearing 14.11 metres in her fourth leap.
Mayookha also booked a berth for the London Olympics bettering the `B` standard (14.10) of qualifying mark for the mega event.
Mayookha`s compatriot M.A. Prajusha finished seventh with a jump of 13.63 metres. China`s Xie Limei won the gold with a season`s best 14.54m while Valeriya Kanatov of Uzbekistan (14.14m) won the silver.
In men`s shot put, defending champion Om Prakash won bronze with a throw of 19.47m. Ming-Huang Chang of Chinese Taipei won the gold with a championship record of 20.14m. China`s Jun Zhang won the silver (19.77m). Saurabh Vij, (18.72) finished fourth.
India have now eight medals - one gold, one silver and six bronze.
In the 400m hurdle, Satinder Singh came sixth with a timing of 51.93sec.
In women`s 5,000m, Kavita Raut (16:23.06) came a distant eigth and Suriya Loganathan (17:19.44) ninth.
In the men`s competition, Suresh Kumar came sixth (14:05.64). After two good days, Sushmita Singha Roy had a disappointing third day in heptathalon. She finished fourth with 5,179 points. Ghamanda Ram (1:51.76) and S. Joseph (1:52.97) qualified for the men`s 800m finals at seventh and eighth places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal