MCD again plays spoilsport at Ambedkar Stadium
New Delhi: The Delhi sub-junior team`s selection trials for the Mir Iqbal Hussain trophy football tournament has been hit hard after the Municipal Corporation of Delhi released water at the Ambedkar Stadium, thus making the turf completely unsuitable for conducting trials.
"Why are they always against football, what have the boys done. This is nothing new but if this is the attitude then how will the boys train, and how the team will be picked," said Delhi Soccer Association secretary, NK Bhatia.
MCD had last month decided to increase the rent for hosting matches in the stadium from Rs 500 to 5000 per game.
"That amount is high, so we have passed a resolution to the standing committee of th MCD. But they, it seems, are not too keen on initiating the process. It`s really very sad," Bhatia said.
MCD`s lackadaisical attitude towards sporting activities came in for stinging criticism from the DSA last week after it hosted a wedding reception in the middle of the ground, thus damaging the turf further.
It must be mentioned that the stadium is owned by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), and Bhatia said, that is where the problem lies. They treat the ground as their fiefdom, and football is never a priority, leaving the DSA mandarins helpless.
"We can`t do anything. We want to host the I-League matches but because of these function we are not able to maintain the ground," he added.
Ambedkar Stadium is the home ground of AIFF XI, the city-based I-League team, but due to unplayable conditions, their home matches had to be shifted to Gurgaon`s Tau Devi Lal Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof