MDMK upset over AIADMK`s `arrogant` stand; not to contest polls
Chennai: Differences between AIADMK and its
long time ally MDMK reached a flash point on Sunday with the
Vaiko-led outfit deciding to boycott April 13 Assembly polls
accusing the senior partner of taking an "arrogant" stand
after its demand for 21 seats was not conceded.
AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa virtually extended an olive
branch to her estranged ally, writing a letter to Vaiko,
saying his party`s decision had "saddened" her.
MDMK complained of "consistent ill-treatment" by and
"arrogant stand" of AIADMK, and said it will not contest the
Assembly elections in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
A resolution passed at the meeting of MDMK district
secretaries here said, "The arrogant attitude of AIADMK to its
long-term ally and a meagre offer of eight seats has hurt the
sentiments of the party...We don`t want to sell our
self-respect for the sake of a few seats and have decided that
we will not contest the polls."
Shortly after the MDMK`s decision, Jayalalithaa wrote a
letter describing Vaiko as a "seasoned politician who is aware
of the political situation".
Her party`s inability to allot 21 seats as demanded by
MDMK was conveyed to it by the party`s election panel,
comprising O Panneerselvam and KA Sengottaiyan.
Jayalalithaa, who has invested a lot of prestige in the
elections, acknowledged that it was MDMK`s right to take a
stand on an issue (regarding boycott of elections), but
assured "sister`s love and respect" for Vaiko.
MDMK said AIADMK`s open invitation in 2006 to join its
alliance was approved only after a majority of the party
The MDMK resolution said the party had stood by its
senior ally when the latter had decided to field its own
candidate for the 2009 Tirumangalam bypolls, seen as a test of
DMK strongman MK Alagiri`s organisational skill versus AIADMK.
MDMK legislator Veera Elevarasan`s death had necessitated
the bypolls and the party had wanted its candidate to take on
It had also toed AIADMK line with regard to boycotting
bypolls to five Assembly constituencies, two of them due to
defection by MDMK MLAs to DMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security