Me and Jwala can be inside world`s top-10 by year end: Ashwini
New Delhi: Bubbling with new-found confidence after a successful Sudirman Cup campaign, promising women`s doubles shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa said she and her partner Jwala Gutta can hope to be among the world`s top-10 by the end of this year.
Ashwini and Jwala beat world number eight Thai pair Duanganong Aroonkesorn and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul in a crucial match in the second Group C tie of the Sudirman Cup in Qingdao, China recently which helped them reach the quarterfinals for the first time.
Ashwini said the performance was a reflection of the hard work that they have put in.
"We are very satisfied with our performance. It only shows that besides the top four, rest are beatable. To beat the top four we have to put in more hard work and we are training hard, we will be there soon," Ashwini told reporters.
"We have really put in a lot of hard work in the last few months and this win will boost our confidence to do well and qualify for the London Olympics," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof