Me and Jwala can be inside world`s top-10 by year end: Ashwini
New Delhi: Bubbling with new-found confidence after a successful Sudirman Cup campaign, promising women`s doubles shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa said she and her partner Jwala Gutta can hope to be among the world`s top-10 by the end of this year.
Ashwini and Jwala beat world number eight Thai pair Duanganong Aroonkesorn and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul in a crucial match in the second Group C tie of the Sudirman Cup in Qingdao, China recently which helped them reach the quarterfinals for the first time.
Ashwini said the performance was a reflection of the hard work that they have put in.
"We are very satisfied with our performance. It only shows that besides the top four, rest are beatable. To beat the top four we have to put in more hard work and we are training hard, we will be there soon," Ashwini told reporters.
"We have really put in a lot of hard work in the last few months and this win will boost our confidence to do well and qualify for the London Olympics," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional