Medals galore but where is the cash incentive?
Dhaka: Indian athletes have swept the South Asian Games, fetching medals in almost all the disciplines but there has been no cash incentive or encouragement from the government, lamented chef-de-mission Paresh Nath Mukherjee.
He said the government only rewards the Olympics, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games` heroes but ignores those who shine at South Asian Games.
Urging the government and corporates to encourage the South Asian Games medal winners, Mukherjee said the mindset has to change.
"As a nation, in the arena of sport, We get maximum number of medals at the South Asian Games. Our national pride in the field of sport is established in the SAF region. Medals galore but where is the cash incentive for our sport persons?" he asked.
"In Asian Games there are cash incentives, for Commonwealth Games there are cash incentives but for the winners in South Asian Games, where we reign supreme, there is no cash award," Mukherjee told reporters.
"In Olympic Games, we are nowhere, we are not a force in Asian Games either. But we don`t give any importance to South Asian Games. As we win, we think it`s no competition. Does it mean if we win it`s not a game and if we lose it`s a game?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?