Medals galore but where is the cash incentive?
Dhaka: Indian athletes have swept the South Asian Games, fetching medals in almost all the disciplines but there has been no cash incentive or encouragement from the government, lamented chef-de-mission Paresh Nath Mukherjee.
He said the government only rewards the Olympics, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games` heroes but ignores those who shine at South Asian Games.
Urging the government and corporates to encourage the South Asian Games medal winners, Mukherjee said the mindset has to change.
"As a nation, in the arena of sport, We get maximum number of medals at the South Asian Games. Our national pride in the field of sport is established in the SAF region. Medals galore but where is the cash incentive for our sport persons?" he asked.
"In Asian Games there are cash incentives, for Commonwealth Games there are cash incentives but for the winners in South Asian Games, where we reign supreme, there is no cash award," Mukherjee told reporters.
"In Olympic Games, we are nowhere, we are not a force in Asian Games either. But we don`t give any importance to South Asian Games. As we win, we think it`s no competition. Does it mean if we win it`s not a game and if we lose it`s a game?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch