Meghalaya embarks on tourism revolution
Shillong: To give a facelift to the state`s
hospitality business, Meghalaya Government has embarked on an
initiative giving thrust on improving road and air
connectivity in the state.
The Meghalaya Tourism Revolution will connect the various
tourist destinations in the state.
With this new initiative, the state government is
confident that there would be a sea change in State tourism,
Chief Minister DD Lapang told reporters after the first
meeting of the recently formed Task Force on Tourism
Development (TFTD) here last night.
Lapang said there was a proposal for direct Air India
flights between Kolkata, Shillong and Tura. Air India chief
Arvind Jadhav, after a meeting with Lapang in Delhi recently,
said the national career was considering operating regular
flights from Kolkata to Shillong and Tura or vice versa.
Lapang said government was planning to make Umroi on the
outskirts of Shillong - one of the major tourist destinations
by upgrading the airport there.
The government has already put forward a proposal to the
Union Ministry of Civil Aviation for setting up of an aviation
training academy in the State for which the government will
allot 12 acres of land, he added.
Meghalaya government will set up Welcome Centres at
Khanapara on the Assam border, the entry points to Garo hills
and Dawki along the Bangladesh border. Tourism offices would
also be set up in important cities like Delhi and Kolkata,
"We have also adopted a resolution to develop the
Shillong Golf Course and transform it into one of the best
golf courses in the country. We will find out other places in
the State where artificial golf courses can be created," he
While admitting that despite many efforts in the past,
development of the state tourism sector was yet to be
satisfactory, the chief minister said the government would
improve the existing state Tourism policy.
The term of reference of the TFTD is to prepare a 10 year
perspective plan for Tourism Infrastructure Development, to
suggest measures to facilitate investment in Tourism projects
and also to monitor their implementation.
Activation of interactive website of Tourism Department,
building of a State of the Art Inter State Bus Terminal in
Shillong, and holding of festivals in line with the wine
festival besides the regular festivals that the State observes
were also on the anvil, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack