Melzer upsets Cilic to win Vienna Open
Vienna: Jurgen Melzer upset top seed Marin Cilic 6-4 6-3 in the final of the Vienna Open on Sunday to become the first home player to win the tournament for 21 years.
The Austrian, seeded seventh, enjoyed a comfortable win to claim the second ATP title of his career.
Cilic, ranked 13th, was a wildcard entry after U.S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro withdrew through injury.
The last Austrian to win the tournament was Horst Skoff in 1988.
Melzer saved three break points in the second game, then broke Cilic’s serve to go 4-3 ahead before saving two more break points in the 10th game to win the first set.
The Austrian, who served only one ace compared to 10 from his opponent, broke again in the fifth game of the second set.
In a dramatic final game Cilic saved two match points before he sent a forehand into the net to hand Melzer his first title since Bucharest three years ago.
“It’s so difficult to describe today’s victory,” said Melzer. “It will take a couple of weeks for it to sink in.”
“I’m happy to follow in Horst Skoff’s footsteps.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'