Messi cares more about Barcelona winning Champions League than goal record
Barcelona: Barcelona striker Lionel Messi has said that he would not care if he fails to add to his phenomenal goal haul this season as long as his team wins the Champions League on Saturday.
Messi is just one goal away from equalling Champions League’s highest scoring record in a season set by Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
The former Manchester United striker had scored 12 goals during the 2002-03 campaign.
“Goals are only important if they win you games. If I don’t score and Barcelona win the Champions League it’s unimportant whether I find the net or not. My interest is in the collective success of the team, not individual glory,” The Daily Mirror quoted Messi, as saying.
“I’ve not given any great deal of thought about not scoring in England. And I’m not driven by the desire to score more goals in a Champions League campaign than any other player. If it’s meant to happen, it will happen,” he added.
Barcelona will face United in the Champions League final on Saturday at Wembley Stadium, London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race