Messi cares more about Barcelona winning Champions League than goal record
Barcelona: Barcelona striker Lionel Messi has said that he would not care if he fails to add to his phenomenal goal haul this season as long as his team wins the Champions League on Saturday.
Messi is just one goal away from equalling Champions League’s highest scoring record in a season set by Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
The former Manchester United striker had scored 12 goals during the 2002-03 campaign.
“Goals are only important if they win you games. If I don’t score and Barcelona win the Champions League it’s unimportant whether I find the net or not. My interest is in the collective success of the team, not individual glory,” The Daily Mirror quoted Messi, as saying.
“I’ve not given any great deal of thought about not scoring in England. And I’m not driven by the desire to score more goals in a Champions League campaign than any other player. If it’s meant to happen, it will happen,” he added.
Barcelona will face United in the Champions League final on Saturday at Wembley Stadium, London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins