Messi`s match huge milestone for india: Blatter
Kolkata: FIFA president Sepp Blatter said that the International friendly between Argentina and Venezuela in India on September 2 was an indication that football`s
popularity was on the rise in a cricket-dominated country.
In a message to a city-based Celebrity Management Group who are organizing the spectacle, Blatter said the match would surely boost football`s popularity in the country.
Messi and Co will clash against their South American rival Venezuela, two countries with a strong football tradition, in a rare match to be held in Yuba Bharati Krirangan, something that is a part of FIFA`s development programme.
"It`s clear that FIFA`s development work in this huge country is starting to bear fruit...Football is starting to occupy an increasingly important place in the Indian society," Blatter wrote in a message to the sports management firm.
"I have no doubt that the match will go a long way towards boosting football`s popularity in India even further," he said thanking the AIFF for making the event possible. He further said that their vision of a programme launched 10 years ago has started paying dividends.
"The Goal Programme was launched with the aim of improving football infrastructure worldwide on a large scale. Since then, more than 500 projects have been launched to the value of USD 262 million.
"We have now entered a new era of football development, which combines infrastructure and projects, financial resources, technical knowledge and expertise...and can offer our 208 members comprehensive support of both a general and specific nature, covering the needs of a modern football
association," he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends