Mexico and Costa Rica cruise into Gold Cup semis
Dallas: Costa Rica and Mexico cruised into the semi-finals of the CONCACAF Gold Cup after convincing victories on Sunday.
Striker Alvaro Saborio scored twice to help Costa Rica thrash Guadeloupe 5-1 while Mexico`s Miguel Sabah got two in his team`s 4-0 win over Haiti.
The pair will meet in the semi-final in Chicago on Thursday. The United States meet Honduras in the other semi-final.
More than 80,000 were present to watch the first sports event at the new Dallas Cowboys stadium and the venue was given a fitting opening with a superb opening goal from Costa Rica.
A stunning overhead kick from Celso Borges put the Costa Ricans ahead in the third minute -- the striker producing an acrobatic finish to an Armando Alonso cross.
The lively Alonso created Costa Rica`s second when he crossed to Saborio who smartly headed home in the 16th minute.
Costa Rica took firm control after the break with a goal from Andy Herron and although Guadeloupe pulled one back, thanks to Alexandre Alphonse, the outcome was never in doubt.
Saborio grabbed his second after racing on to a fine through ball from Borges to make it 4-1 and then Pablo Herrera completed the rout a minute from the end.
Sabah opened the scoring for Mexico, slotting home after Israel Castro`s penalty was pushed out by Haiti goalkeeper Jean Zephirin.
Giovanni Dos Santos then doubled the advantage with a magnificent strike from the edge of the area and after the break he turned provider, delivering the cross which Sabah headed home for his second and Mexico`s third.
An excellent Mexico display was rounded off when Dos Santos swung in a deep corner which substitute Pablo Barrera crisply volleyed home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- ISRO rocket launch postponed in wake of missing IAF aircraft search!
- What a talent! 'Kar chale hum fida' patriotic song by this street singer will give you goosebumps - WATCH
- Migrant arrivals inch up after failed Turkey coup: Greece
- Second French church attacker formally identified: Prosecutors
- HUGE HONOUR! PM Narendra Modi featured in Obama's DNC introduction video - WATCH