Mexico, Costa Rica win Gold Cup openers
Arlington: Javier Hernandez scored three goals for Mexico in a 5-0 rout of El Salvador while Costa Rica blanked Cuba by the same score in the openers of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament.
The Mexicans and Salvadorans on Sunday were scoreless in their Group A round-robin match until Efrain Juarez found the net in the 54th minute.
Aldo De Nigri followed three minutes later and "Chircharito" Hernandez followed with goals in the 60th and 66th minutes plus two minutes into stoppage time to complete the Group A round-robin rout.
Costa Rica had two goals each from Marcos Urena and Alvaro Saborio in dispatching their Caribbean island foes.
Urena opened the scoring in the sixth minute off a left wing centering pass from Christian Bolanos and Saborio scored in the 40th minute to put the Ticos on top 2-0 at half-time.
Urena scored again in the first minute of the second half and Saborio found the net for the second time in the 47th minute. Joel Campbell finished the scoring in the 71st minute.
The tournament, whose winner qualifies for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, continues Monday at Los Angeles with the first Group B matches, Jamaica against Grenada and Honduras against Guatemala.
Group A matches resume Thursday when Mexico will play Cuba and Costa Rica will face El Salvador at Charlotte, North Carolina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers