Mexico, Costa Rica win Gold Cup openers
Arlington: Javier Hernandez scored three goals for Mexico in a 5-0 rout of El Salvador while Costa Rica blanked Cuba by the same score in the openers of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament.
The Mexicans and Salvadorans on Sunday were scoreless in their Group A round-robin match until Efrain Juarez found the net in the 54th minute.
Aldo De Nigri followed three minutes later and "Chircharito" Hernandez followed with goals in the 60th and 66th minutes plus two minutes into stoppage time to complete the Group A round-robin rout.
Costa Rica had two goals each from Marcos Urena and Alvaro Saborio in dispatching their Caribbean island foes.
Urena opened the scoring in the sixth minute off a left wing centering pass from Christian Bolanos and Saborio scored in the 40th minute to put the Ticos on top 2-0 at half-time.
Urena scored again in the first minute of the second half and Saborio found the net for the second time in the 47th minute. Joel Campbell finished the scoring in the 71st minute.
The tournament, whose winner qualifies for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, continues Monday at Los Angeles with the first Group B matches, Jamaica against Grenada and Honduras against Guatemala.
Group A matches resume Thursday when Mexico will play Cuba and Costa Rica will face El Salvador at Charlotte, North Carolina.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged