Mexico`s first face implant performed
Monterrey: Mexico`s first face implant was carried out on a seven-year-old boy who was bitten by a dog here in this northern metropolis, doctors said.
"The child, Raul Carrizales Jaramillo, was gnawed by a dog that practically tore off both lips and 60 percent of his left cheek," Juan Carlos Tamez Montes, director of the hospital where the surgery was performed June 26, told EFE.
A night watchman who saw the dog attack picked up the boy`s torn pieces of flesh, wrapped them in gauze and kept them in a plastic bag that he covered with ice, which allowed the doctors to do the reimplant, Tamez said.
Taking part in the surgery, which took close to six hours, were seven doctors and nurses, who were able to reconnect the arteries and veins.
The hospital director said that the youngster is in a process of recovery that will allow him to regain movement and feeling in his restored lips and cheek.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet