Michael Nobbs named India hockey coach
New Delhi: The Indian hockey team got a new coach on Wednesday with Australian Olympian Michael Jack Nobbs bagging the coveted post after the exit of coach Jose Brasa. He has been appointed the coach for the national team till 2016, giving him ample time to revive the national sport and bring it to its glory days.
The other front runners for the post were twice Olympic and world champion Jacques Brinkman of Netherlands and Dutchman Roelant Oltmans.
"I am very excited, honoured and privileged to get this job," said the 57-year-old, who was part of Australia`s team for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games.
Nobbs` contract runs till the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and his pay cheque will start at 10,000 Australian dollars per month.
His remuneration will be hiked by 10 per cent if the struggling Indian hockey team manages to qualify for the London Olympics next year.
Nobbs can expect another hike if the team does well next year as in a first in India hockey, his contract has a clause for performance-based incentives.
"Under my chairmanship, Sports Authority of India committee and Hockey India unanimously selected Nobbs as our coach for the period upto 2016 Rio Olympics," SAI Director General Deepak Kumar told reporters.
"The selection was based on several factors, his experience, organising capabilities and the presentation he made before us.”
"What weighed in his favour is the fact that the Australian style of hockey is similar to ours and we have decided to continue with that," he added.
Nobbs beat competition from Dutch legends Roelant Oltmans and Jacques Brinkman, who is a twice Olympic and world champion.
India has been looking for a foreign coach since Spaniard Brasa`s contract expired after the Asian Games last year.
HI then handed the reins to national coach Harendra Singh for last month`s Azlan Shah Cup last month but he failed to produce desired results in the tournament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!