Microsoft keen to partner Unique ID project: Bill Gates
New Delhi: Microsoft, the world`s largest software company, is keen to partner India in a project to issue Unique Identification to each citizen, its chairman Bill Gates said on Friday.
"Microsoft wants to be part of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) project," he said here at a joint event with Nasscom.
Gates will meet UIDAI chairman Nandan M Nilekani, who was till recently co-chairman of the country`s second largest software exporter, to take the possible association forward.
Nilekani had only yesterday assumed charge of UIDAI and expressed confidence that his team would be able to roll out the first set of identity numbers within 12-18 months.
The project would serve as an enabling infrastructure for other identification schemes and will conform to different applications.
The Authority would not be issuing any biometric cards by itself, but the database created by it would help government agencies undertake that task.
UID number would help government in identifying targeted beneficiaries for various welfare scheme and departments, based on their needs, could use the number.
The main aim of the UID, according to Nilekani, was to avert the need for multiple proof of identity for citizens while availing any government service, or for private needs like opening bank accounts or seeking telephone connections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list