Microsoft Q1 profits slide 18% $3.57 bn
New York: Software giant Microsoft witnessed
an 18 per cent slump in the first quarter profits at USD 3.57
billion compared to the year-ago period, even as the company
benefited from cost-cutting measures and strong consumer
demand for Windows.
The entity had profits to the tune of USD 4.37 billion in
the same period a year ago.
In a statement today, Microsoft said its revenue for the
first quarter ended September declined 14 per cent to USD
12.92 billion in comparison with the same period a year
"These financial results reflect the deferral of USD 1.47
billion of revenue, an impact of USD 0.12 of diluted earnings
per share, relating to the Windows 7 Upgrade Option program
and sales of Windows 7 to OEMs (Original Equipment
Manufacturers) and retailers before general availability," the
The first quarter results come a day after the global
launch of its Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
"We are very pleased with our performance this quarter
and particularly by the strong consumer demand for Windows,"
Microsoft`s Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell said.
Liddell noted that the firm maintained cost discipline,
which allowed it to drive strong earnings performance despite
continued tough overall economic conditions.
About Windows 7, Exchange Server 2010 and Windows Server
2008 R2, Microsoft`s Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner
said, "We are pleased by the early positive response we are
receiving for these products".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder