Microsoft Q1 profits slide 18% $3.57 bn
New York: Software giant Microsoft witnessed
an 18 per cent slump in the first quarter profits at USD 3.57
billion compared to the year-ago period, even as the company
benefited from cost-cutting measures and strong consumer
demand for Windows.
The entity had profits to the tune of USD 4.37 billion in
the same period a year ago.
In a statement today, Microsoft said its revenue for the
first quarter ended September declined 14 per cent to USD
12.92 billion in comparison with the same period a year
"These financial results reflect the deferral of USD 1.47
billion of revenue, an impact of USD 0.12 of diluted earnings
per share, relating to the Windows 7 Upgrade Option program
and sales of Windows 7 to OEMs (Original Equipment
Manufacturers) and retailers before general availability," the
The first quarter results come a day after the global
launch of its Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
"We are very pleased with our performance this quarter
and particularly by the strong consumer demand for Windows,"
Microsoft`s Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell said.
Liddell noted that the firm maintained cost discipline,
which allowed it to drive strong earnings performance despite
continued tough overall economic conditions.
About Windows 7, Exchange Server 2010 and Windows Server
2008 R2, Microsoft`s Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner
said, "We are pleased by the early positive response we are
receiving for these products".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack