Midfielder Josue quits Brazil squad with injury
Rio de Janeiro: VfL Wolfsburg midfielder Josue has pulled out of Brazil`s squad to face Argentina and Chile in World Cup qualifiers next month after injuring his right knee.
The Brazilian Football Confederation said in a statement on its website on Tuesday that Josue would have keyhole surgery on the knee in Germany.
Brazil, who lead the South American group, visit fourth-placed Argentina on Sept. 5 in Rosario and host Chile, who are second, in Salvador four days later. The teams finishing in the top four places, which at present also include Paraguay, qualify for the 2010 finals in South Africa. The fifth-placed team go into a playoff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror