Miffed Pawar to boycott IPL opening ceremony
Mumbai: The Indian Premier League just can’t seem to stop courting controversy. Just as the stage was set for the third edition of the eagerly awaited Twenty20 extravaganza to kick-off, Sharad Pawar led Mumbai Cricket Association’s (MCA) decision to boycott the opening ceremony and the first match, scheduled to take place at Navi Mumbai’s DY Patil Stadium later today, is threatening to play spoiler.
"The MCA`s managing committee met yesterday and decided to boycott the IPL opener as we had not received any invitation to attend it. The invites came around 7 pm after they learned of our decision and we are not going to attend it," said MCA Joint Secretary Lalchand Rajput said.
Rajput said the managing committee was totally miffed at being ignored and was also furious that the Test cricketers produced by the association have also not been given any match credentials by IPL, a sub-committee of the BCCI, to attend it.
"Traditionally all Test cricketers are provided match tickets to attend international matches in Mumbai. Last time, we received 20 per cent of the seating capacity when the matches were held in the Wankhede Stadium, which is now under renovation. We want to see what happens when the IPL returns to our venue," the former India opener said.
Rajput said he personally spoke to Pawar (MCA chief) and apprised him of the managing committee`s decision.
The MCA official also declared that even the second match of the League between the Mumbai Indians and Rajasthan Royals, scheduled at the Cricket Club of India for Saturday, would also be boycotted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark