Milan on brink of title after Bologna victory
Rome: AC Milan need only one more point to secure an 18th league title after a 1-0 victory over Bologna put them on the brink of the scudetto crown.
If either Milan avoid defeat away to Roma next week or Inter Milan fail to beat Fiorentina, then the rossoneri will be Serie A champions.
French midfielder Mathieu Flamini scored the only goal of the game early in the first period yesterday.
Milan would already be champions but for Giampaolo Pazzini`s two injury time goals on Saturday gave Inter a 2-1 win at Cesena.
Coach Massimiliano Allegri was happy to admit that the title race is now over.
"We`ll get one point from three games, we hope to do it as soon as possible but we`re in good shape," said the Milan boss.
The former Cagliari boss admitted it hadn`t always been plain sailing against the San Siro visitors.
"It was a difficult game. Bologna made life difficult for us but we managed to score early in the game," he added.
Milan got a dream start after just eight minutes as Robinho slipped the ball forward to Flamini who played it one side of Miguel Britos and ran around the other leaving him face to face with goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano.
The Frenchman`s first shot was straight at the keeper but it squirmed under his body and Flamini was first to the rebound to slide home into an empty net.
Thereafter it was all Milan as they proved especially effective on the counter attack.
Antonio Cassano should have done better when teed up by returning captain Massimo Ambrosini but could only shoot straight at Viviano.
Clarence Seedorf crossed for Flamini who shot wide and then on 37 minutes Robinho picked out Kevin-Prince Boateng six yards out but he got under his close-range header.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof