Milan`s Ibrahimovic to miss derby after three-game ban
Milan: AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic will miss the potentially title-deciding derby against former club Inter after being banned for three games on Monday following his sending-off in Sunday`s 1-1 draw with Bari.
The Swede was dismissed 17 minutes from time for striking Marco Rossi in the chest in an off-the-ball incident and Serie A said in a statement on Monday that its disciplinary commissioner had ruled the offence serious enough to merit a three-game ban.
The suspension of their main attacker comes at a terrible time for leaders Milan with just nine games left in the season.
Milan lead champions Inter by five points but Ibrahimovic will now be forced to sit out next weekend`s trip to Palermo, the derby with Inter and the trip to Fiorentina.
Milan, who only have Alexandre Pato as a fit out-and-out striker, said in a statement they would appeal the severity of the ban.
Ibrahimovic has looked out of sorts in recent weeks after a strong start to his Milan career having joined from Barcelona last year after just one season in Spain following his move from Inter.
He struggled in last week`s Champions League elimination at Tottenham Hotspur and looked frustrated throughout the home draw with Serie A`s bottom side Bari.
It was a busy day for Serie A`s disciplinary commissioner with Parma`s Daniele Galloppa and Lazio`s Stefan Radu also given three-game bans for similar offences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people