Ministry asks IHF to postpone Oct 3 polls
New Delhi: With the Indian Hockey Federation
failing to clarify its stand on its merger with IWHF, the
Sports Ministry on Thursday advised the sport body to postpone its
polls, scheduled for October 3.
The Sports Ministry had sent two letters to IHF, seeking
clarification on their merger with IWHF and had also sought
details of the election process.
Deepika Kachhal, a Director in Ministry, wrote to IHF
president KPS Gill and said that since their response is
awaited they should not go ahead with polls.
"Now, with only one working day left before the proposed
date of elections, there is not enough time available to
examine the issues in detail. You are, therefore, advised to
postpone the elections as of now and satisfy the Government on
various issues related to the merger of IHF and IWHF and the
election process," the letter said.
The Ministry had also reminded IHF that they will have to
adhere to the government guidelines, if they are to be
recognised as a National Sports Federation (NSF).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family