Ministry to address Boxing Federation`s complaint
New Delhi: Just days after the Indian Boxing
Federation (IBF) had complained about delay in implementation
of a government scheme and non-payment of incentives to
coaches, the Sports Ministry has promised to "resolve these
issues" as soon as possible.
IBF secretary general P K Muralidharan Raja was called
for a meeting by Sports Minister Ajay Maken after the
Federation`s recent complaint that a government scheme for
procuring infrastructure was not benefitting the sport.
Raja had also stated that the coaches who groomed Indian
boxers for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, in which Vijender Singh
bagged a bronze and two others reached quarterfinals, have not
yet been paid their dues.
In a statement issued today, Raja said Maken has promised
to ensure an early resolution of the matter.
"On learning that issues such as provision of boxing
rings to IBF under the Govt 75:25 scheme has been pending for
the past two years and that cash incentives to the coaches who
were responsible for Vijender`s Olympic bronze and India`s
performance during CWG 2010 and Asian Games 2010 have still
not been rewarded, he (Maken) asked me to meet him in his
office yesterday evening and promised to resolve these issues
without any further delay," Raja said.
"Such immediate proactive measures by the ministry
reinstates our belief that he (Maken) means business and that
our problems will be addressed post haste whereby the boxers
and coaches and the Federation can concentrate on the task of
preparing for National and International level events," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez