Mirza-Niculescu lose quarters in Cincinnati
Cincinnati: India`s Sania Mirza and her Romanian partner Monica Niculescu crashed out of the USD 2,000,000 Western and Southern Financial Group Women`s Open tennis championships after going down to Victoria Azarenka and Maria Kirikenko in the doubles quarterfinal.
Mirza and Niculescu put up a spirited fight of late but the Belarusian-Russian combo foiled their bid with 2-6, 5-7 scoreline.
The unseeded Indo-Romanian pair had pulled off a big upset by beating the fifth seed, Wimbledon champion pair of American Vania King and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan in the second round of the tournament.
Azarenka and Kirilenko now play second seeds Gisela Dulko of Argentina and Flavia Pennetta of Italy in the semifinal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok