Mirza-Niculescu lose quarters in Cincinnati
Cincinnati: India`s Sania Mirza and her Romanian partner Monica Niculescu crashed out of the USD 2,000,000 Western and Southern Financial Group Women`s Open tennis championships after going down to Victoria Azarenka and Maria Kirikenko in the doubles quarterfinal.
Mirza and Niculescu put up a spirited fight of late but the Belarusian-Russian combo foiled their bid with 2-6, 5-7 scoreline.
The unseeded Indo-Romanian pair had pulled off a big upset by beating the fifth seed, Wimbledon champion pair of American Vania King and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan in the second round of the tournament.
Azarenka and Kirilenko now play second seeds Gisela Dulko of Argentina and Flavia Pennetta of Italy in the semifinal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie