Mithu the parrot forgotten - year after Assam blasts
Bongaigaon: As Assam completes a year of the horrific serial bombings Friday, little Mithu`s heroics have been completely forgotten. The casualties would have been much higher had the pet parrot not alerted her owner Bijoy Banthia.
Mithu went berserk on that black Oct 30 morning - shouting and jumping in her cage in the heart of Bongaigaon town in western Assam.
"I knew something was wrong with Mithu behaving abnormally that morning. I realised the behaviour was signalling something ominous and hence became cautious," Banthia said recalling that incident.
Peeping out from the first floor of his house, Banthia saw a motorcycle parked outside his shop, Town Stores.
"I don`t know what made me think that some danger was awaiting, I called up the police and informed them about the unattended motorcycle," Banthia said.
A police bomb squad arrived in no time and soon the fear came true - a powerful timer device packed with TNT explosives was found fitted to the motorcycle. Police and army teams craned the bike to an isolated location to detonate it - but unfortunately the bomb went off, injuring 11 people, most of them security personnel. No one died though.
Assam was a literal killing field Oct 30 last year when eight powerful explosions rocked three districts of Assam - Guwahati, Kokrajhar and Barpeta - claiming about 100 lives and wounding more than 500.
But not too many people know that it was Mithu`s warning call that had saved a tragedy in Bongaigaon.
"Had it not been for Mithu`s alertness, Bongaigaon town would have almost certainly witnessed a similar bloodbath with heavy casualties, as the area remains crowded," said Anil Das, a resident.
A year down the line, Mithu is equally alert and her cage is in the same place as last year.
"Last month, just a few minutes before the massive earthquake (of 6.3 magnitude tremor Sep 21) rocked the region, Mithu warned us by shouting and behaving abnormally. We knew something was going to happen and Mithu was right," Banthia said.
Mithu, however, is totally oblivious to the favour she has done to her human friends and is happy simply with a feed of nuts and seeds!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note