Mobile number portability not before Dec 31: DoT
New Delhi: The government on Thursday extended to
December 31 implementation of mobile number portability, a
facility allowing subscribers to retain their numbers even
after changing service providers.
The 100-day delay in the scheduled execution of the MNP
is attributed to operators` inability to upgrade their network
as well as to the delay on part of regulator TRAI to come out
with tariff for the service.
"The implementation of MNP is under progress. However,
this required customisation and upgradation of the existing
network to be capable of providing the MNP service. Certain
technical and commercial issues related to it are also being
All this requires considerable time and effort.
Therefore, it has been decided by the Department of Telecom to
extend the date of implementation of MNP in Metro Category A
service areas to December 31, 2009 in the first phase", DoT
said in a statement.
Accordingly the service is likely to be available by end
of 2009 to begin with in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Maharashtra,
Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, it said.
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) had issued
guidelines for for its implementation in the country in August
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Preggers Mira Rajput admitted to hospital; hubby Shahid Kapoor's parents hurry to meet bahu!
- 'Spit remark' on PV Sindhu's achievements: Director says fans didn't get his satire, gets TROLLED again
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!