Modest start by Gangjee at Nationwide
Springfield: Rahil Gangjee opened with a modest two-under 70 to be placed tied 55th at the Price Cutter Charity Golf Championships at the Highland Springs Country Club.
The Indian golfer playing his first year on Nationwide Tour was eight shots behind the leader, Steve Friesen (62).
Gangjee, after a birdie start on second, overcame a tense front nine during which he bogeyed three times.
Birdies on eighth and ninth saw him turn in even par and then three birdies on 13th, 16th and 18th against one bogey saw him finish the day in 70.
Indian-origin Swede Daniel Chopra, who has one win on the Nationwide this season, had a testing day with a round of three-over 75 that left him in a difficult position to make the cut.
He had three birdies, three bogeys and a triple bogey.
Friesen`s 10-under 62 was his career-best and it gave him a two-shot lead over Gavin Coles (64) and three over Craig Bowden. Four others share the fourth place at 66.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress