Modi gets four evidences of ‘wrongdoings’ from BCCI

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 16:38

Mumbai: Suspended IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi on Tuesday received four documentary ‘proofs’ of his alleged wrongdoings from the BCCI, which said it could not offer other evidences since those were of verbal nature.

Modi’s lawyer Mehmood S Abdi told reporters after receiving the documents from the BCCI headquarters that out of 10 references in the show cause notice, for which the suspended IPL chief wanted documentary proof, only four were given while the rest, it has been told, were by nature of oral communications only.

“We had asked for some documents from the Board. We needed documentary support for at least 10 references made in the show cause notice out of which four have been provided to us today,” Abdi said.

“Board secretary (N Srinivasan) has written in an email to Mr Modi that other references made in the show cause notice for which we wanted documentary support were oral transactions or verbal communications and there is no documentary proof for those,” Modi’s counsel said.
Modi had asked for documents from the BCCI for mounting his defence against the first show cause notice that has charged him with financial irregularities and bid-rigging in IPL.

Abdi said the four documents handed over to him included an agreement, two letters, one email and a copy of shareholding pattern of an IPL franchisee.

It was learned that the letters and emails pertained to Nimbus communications who are the BCCI’s broadcast right holders for international and domestic cricket organised in India.
Abdi also said that Modi, on his part, had handed over all the documents that were asked for by the BCCI following the voluminous second lot that he had delivered to the Board on Monday.

“So far they have not asked for anything more. In fact only last evening I had given them the second lot of documents which, from our side, is full and final. Still if the BCCI want anything more from us we are ready to give,” he said.

Modi, who was suspended by the BCCI on April 26, has been given an extra five days by the BCCI to reply to the charges that includes alleged irregularities in broadcast and internet deals.

The new deadline for Modi is May 15.

Queried about Modi’s future course, Abdi said, “Let’s go through the documents what we have got right now and then we will decide. As of now, yes, we are ready to file by 15th.”

“This development has given a very interesting twist to the story. This much I can say,” he added.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 16:38

comments powered by Disqus