Mumbai: Suspended IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi on Saturday handed over to the BCCI all the relevant documents relating to the T20 League demamded by Cricket Board, sources close to him said.
The documents, both original as well as notarised copies, included all franchisee agreements, global media rights agreements, global media rights packages, all bid documents, media rights licensee agreements, eligibility letters of all bidders with details and all sponsorship agreements entered into by IPL, the sources said.
The documents were handed over to BCCI CAO Professor Ratnakar Shetty by Modi’s lawyer Mehmood M Abdi, the sources added.
All these documents were missing from the BCCI office and Shetty had been entrusted by the IPL governing council at its April 26 emergency meeting to collect them.
Shetty has also acknowledged the receipt of the documents of which one set has been retained by Modi’s counsel for his records, the sources said.
Modi was suspended soon after the final of IPL-III by the BCCI which has levelled charges against him alleging, among other things, financial irregularities and bid-rigging in conducting the tournament and his deadline to reply to these charges ends on May 10.
In the capital today to consult his lawyers for a reply to the first showcause notice issued to him, Modi said he would personally hand over his response to the accusations on Monday.
“I have just come to wrap up my reply to the show cause that I have to submit on Monday. I am going to reply personally because there is nothing to hide,” he said.
When contacted, Prof Shetty said that some more documents were to be sent by Modi relating to IPL.
“Some more documents are to come which, we have been told, would be delivered in a day or two,” the BCCI CAO said.
Early in the day, Modi ridiculed the BCCI’s second show cause notice for allegedly planning a ‘rebel’ Twenty20 league in England, saying it has become a part of life for him to be treated as “public enemy number one” by the Board.
“It’s a part of life. I have been public enemy number one for the BCCI for a long time now,” Modi said when asked for his reaction to the notice issued to him a couple of days ago.
“I won’t react to it, the world has reacted to it on the basis of which the notice has been served. I still have 15 days to respond to it. We all know what it is,” he told reporters at the airport.
The IPL boss’ fall has been sensational but he tried to put a brave face in front of the media and said, “I have not gone anywhere. I have only been suspended and that’s about it.”
Asked if the IPL would suffer due to his suspension, Modi said the league’s structure was strong enough to weather the current storm.
“We have built a strong organisation. I don’t think the IPL will suffer. I think we have enough competent people to run the organisation.
“It’s a very strong brand. It’s important to understand that IPL is a global brand and hopefully we will be able to prove it. Everybody is behind me,” he said.
Modi is facing allegations of financial wrongdoings and favouring friends and family in the IPL’s bidding process.