Modi`s policies behind farmers` suicides: Pilot
Rajkot: Union Minister for State of Communication and Information Technology Sachin Pilot blamed Narendra Modi-led BJP government`s faulty policies for farmers "taking extreme steps" in Gujarat here on Saturday.
"When the chief minister takes credit for development, he should also accept that farmers are taking such steps because of his faulty policy," he said, holding the Modi government responsible for farmers` suicides in Gujarat.
Terming Modi as an `authoritarian` leader, Pilot said that "None of the ministers in Gujarat government could dare to speak without Modi`s permission".
Pilot said that the Congress will form the government in Gujarat and that "People want change and the Congress was capable of bringing about a change in Gujarat politics".
When asked about chances of Rahul Gandhi becoming the prime minister, Pilot said that "Rahul has all abilities to become prime minister and I personally believe that he should become the prime minister".
Expressing concern over inflation, he admitted that UPA government`s steps to rein in inflation are not enough and it would have to take more concrete steps.
"The union government is working seriously to control inflation, but increasing oil prices in international market affect inflation directly and India imports about 80 per cent of its oil requirements," he told reporters.
Talking about the government`s policy on FDI, he said that implementing it in states is not compulsory, though it could result in commodities becoming cheaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter