Mohammed Rafi: The soulful voice lives on!
Mumbai, July 31: Music lovers across India, paid tribute to the versatile singer Mohammed Rafi, who reigned as the unrivalled singer of the film industry for almost 40 years and even after his death. July 31 marks the death anniversary of the music legend, whose melodious voice mesmerised millions across the country and abroad.
Born in 1924, in Amritsar, Mohammed Rafi, whose nickname was Pheeko, started singing by imitating chants of a fakir in his village. A chanced episode made the world sit-back and acknowledge the huge talent of the singer. His big break came at the age of 13, when one day Rafi and his brother-in-law Hameed went to attend a performance by K L Saigal. Saigal refused to sing because there was a power failure at the venue. Hameed asked the organizers whether his brother-in-law could sing to keep the audience quiet. The organisers agreed, Rafi sang and enthralled one and all.
Mohammed Rafi’s singing career began in 1942 with Shyam Sunder. In the year 1944, he was asked to sing in a Hindi film as a chorus of noted music composer Naushad Ali. Naushad Ali recognised his talent and gave him a good chance to sing the song ‘O Duniya ke Rakhwale’ for the hit movie ’Baiju Bawra’. That song changed Rafi’s life for ever as it broke all records and Rafi became the first choice of music directors.
Rafi rose to epic fame from the late 1940s to 1960s and remained at the top among the male playback singers. The best thing about the singer was his versatility, he beautifully rendered all genre of songs: Sad, romantic, happy, devotional, ghazals, with equal fervour and perfectly expressed the emotions.
The magical melodies of Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar are still fresh in public memory. The duo made the perfect singing couple and complemented each other’s voice. Rafi’s charm, easy going and gentle nature made him a favourite with everyone.
His sudden death on July 31, 1980 due to heart attack after recording the song ‘Shaam phir kyun udaas hai dost’ shocked the world. The government of India announced a two-day public holiday in honour of this great human being and singer.
Mohammed Rafi still lives as an inspiration for singers and aspirants. Several prominent singers like Sonu Nigam, Mohammed Aziz and Shabbir Kumar earned stardom after following his footsteps. Singers like Mohammed Rafi never die, they live as a soulful voice to inspire, enchant and motivate.
1961 - Husnwale Tera Jawaab Nahin song in the film Gharana
1962 - Aye Gulbadan Aye Gulbadan song in the film Professor
1963 - Mere Mehboob Tujhe song in the film Mere Mehboob
1965 - Choo Lene Do Nazuk Hothon Ko song in the film Kaajal
1968 - Mein Gaaon Tum Sojaao song in the film Brahmachari
1968 - Babul Ki Duayein Leti Ja song in the film Neel Kamal
1969 - Badi Mastani Hai song in the film Jeene Ki Raah
1970 - Khilona Jaan Kar song in the film Khilona
1973 - Hum Ko To Jaan Se Pyaari song in the film Naina
1974 - Achha Hi Huva Dil Toot Gaya song in the film Maa Behen Aur Biwi
1977 - Pardah Hai Pardah song in the film Amar Akbar Anthony
1978 - Aadmi Musaafir Hai song in the film Apnapan
1979 - Chalo Re Doli Uthao Kahaar song in the film Jani Dushman
1980 - Mere Dost Kissa Yeh song in the film Dostana
1980 - Dard-e-dil Dard-e-jigar song in the film Karz
1980 - Maine Poocha Chand Se song in the film Abdullah
For more spicy gossip, lifestyle news, latest pics & videos and more entertainment stories, log on to Spicezee.com »
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year