Mohammedan Sporting wins Sambalpur Cup
Sambalpur: Mohammedan Sporting of Kolkata won the 4th All India Sambalpur Cup Football Championship defeating Tata Football Academy of Jamshedpur 2-1 at the VSS stadium.
In a keenly fought final which was goalless till half time, both the teams sweated it out to score till the 67th minute when Jagtar Singh of TFA managed to penetrate Mohammedan Sporting`s defence and netted the ball.
The experienced Kolkata club showed their class and bounced back eight minutes later with Edaurdo restoring parity.
With the fight for supremacy at its peak, Nilendra Dhwn, substitute player of Mohammedan sporting, caught the opposite custodian off guard and hit the ball home in the 82nd minute to put his team to a 2-1 lead.
TFA`s goalkeeper Ishaan Debnath had earlier effected a spectacular save off Satyajit Bose while the custodian of Mohammedan Sporting did the same to a shot by Raju Gaikwad.
TFA, which comprised young and energetic players, had got two opportunities but failed to capitalise. The Kolkata club also wasted two such opportunities.
The winners got Rs two lakh along with a trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report