Mohammedan Sporting wins Sambalpur Cup
Sambalpur: Mohammedan Sporting of Kolkata won the 4th All India Sambalpur Cup Football Championship defeating Tata Football Academy of Jamshedpur 2-1 at the VSS stadium.
In a keenly fought final which was goalless till half time, both the teams sweated it out to score till the 67th minute when Jagtar Singh of TFA managed to penetrate Mohammedan Sporting`s defence and netted the ball.
The experienced Kolkata club showed their class and bounced back eight minutes later with Edaurdo restoring parity.
With the fight for supremacy at its peak, Nilendra Dhwn, substitute player of Mohammedan sporting, caught the opposite custodian off guard and hit the ball home in the 82nd minute to put his team to a 2-1 lead.
TFA`s goalkeeper Ishaan Debnath had earlier effected a spectacular save off Satyajit Bose while the custodian of Mohammedan Sporting did the same to a shot by Raju Gaikwad.
TFA, which comprised young and energetic players, had got two opportunities but failed to capitalise. The Kolkata club also wasted two such opportunities.
The winners got Rs two lakh along with a trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi