Mohammedan Sporting wins Sambalpur Cup
Sambalpur: Mohammedan Sporting of Kolkata won the 4th All India Sambalpur Cup Football Championship defeating Tata Football Academy of Jamshedpur 2-1 at the VSS stadium.
In a keenly fought final which was goalless till half time, both the teams sweated it out to score till the 67th minute when Jagtar Singh of TFA managed to penetrate Mohammedan Sporting`s defence and netted the ball.
The experienced Kolkata club showed their class and bounced back eight minutes later with Edaurdo restoring parity.
With the fight for supremacy at its peak, Nilendra Dhwn, substitute player of Mohammedan sporting, caught the opposite custodian off guard and hit the ball home in the 82nd minute to put his team to a 2-1 lead.
TFA`s goalkeeper Ishaan Debnath had earlier effected a spectacular save off Satyajit Bose while the custodian of Mohammedan Sporting did the same to a shot by Raju Gaikwad.
TFA, which comprised young and energetic players, had got two opportunities but failed to capitalise. The Kolkata club also wasted two such opportunities.
The winners got Rs two lakh along with a trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16