Mohammedan Sporting wins Sambalpur Cup
Sambalpur: Mohammedan Sporting of Kolkata won the 4th All India Sambalpur Cup Football Championship defeating Tata Football Academy of Jamshedpur 2-1 at the VSS stadium.
In a keenly fought final which was goalless till half time, both the teams sweated it out to score till the 67th minute when Jagtar Singh of TFA managed to penetrate Mohammedan Sporting`s defence and netted the ball.
The experienced Kolkata club showed their class and bounced back eight minutes later with Edaurdo restoring parity.
With the fight for supremacy at its peak, Nilendra Dhwn, substitute player of Mohammedan sporting, caught the opposite custodian off guard and hit the ball home in the 82nd minute to put his team to a 2-1 lead.
TFA`s goalkeeper Ishaan Debnath had earlier effected a spectacular save off Satyajit Bose while the custodian of Mohammedan Sporting did the same to a shot by Raju Gaikwad.
TFA, which comprised young and energetic players, had got two opportunities but failed to capitalise. The Kolkata club also wasted two such opportunities.
The winners got Rs two lakh along with a trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?