Monsoon arrives in Delhi ahead of schedule
New Delhi: Monsoon arrived in the capital on Sunday, 13 days ahead of schedule bringing relief from scorching heat but commuters were at the receiving end due to water-logging in various places.
"The monsoon has reached Delhi," the MeT office said, adding that the seasonal rains lashed the capital almost two weeks ahead of its scheduled arrival on June 29.
Last year, the onset of monsoon was delayed by eight days. It had reached Delhi ahead of schedule in 2011 (June 26), but arrived late in 2010 (July five).
While the earliest onset of monsoon in last 30 years in the capital was recorded in 2008 (June 15), the most delayed arrival occurred in 1987 (July 26).
The weather office said 645.7 mm of rains is considered as normal for the capital during monsoon.
It said monsoon was making rapid progress and will cover the entire country before the scheduled date of July 15.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the country will receive 101 per cent of the long-term average rainfall in July and 96 per cent in August. For the country as a whole, monsoon has recorded an excess of 28 per cent since its onset over Kerala on June 1.
Sudden rains in Delhi led to water-logging and traffic snarls in areas like Laxmi Nagar, ITO and Kashmere Gate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes