Monsoon diseases: Prevention and cure
Sharique N Siddiquie
The season of rains is here again and we are all set to enjoy it to the hilt irrespective of our age. There are people whose idea of enjoying the drizzle is gorging on their favourite ‘pakoras’ and ‘chai’, while watching the lovely weather from the comfort of their homes.
But there are people who want to go out and enjoy the season dancing in the rain. Though it could be a truly exhilarating experience, it comes with a price tag. You are at risk of falling ill in the season and probably this is the last thing you would want should come between you and monsoon enjoyment.
In order to keep yourself safe, you need to know the most common diseases that you need to stay away from and their remedies, in case you fall prey.
This is the most common disease that catches you in the rainy season. The disease is spread by Female Anopheles mosquito. Since, there is a problem of water logging during the rainy season, mosquitoes get conducive conditions to breed. This is the most dangerous disease in India with highest number of deaths credited to it.
Fever at regular intervals, bouts of shivering, muscle pain and weakness are the symptoms that a patient shows while suffering from Malaria.
Since this disease is spread by mosquitoes, so mosquito repellents and nets should be used to prevent it. Also make sure that water does not stagnate in your area as mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. Use DDT in the drains near your home.
Do not ignore any symptoms of malaria and consult your doctor immediately if you feel any sign of the disease.
Cholera is another deadly disease that spreads during the rainy season. This disease is caused by contaminated food and water. Also poor hygienic conditions help this disease to spread. It normally spreads in places with poor sanitation facilities.
Severe diarrhoea with watery stools is the most common symptom of Cholera. There could also be vomiting with immediate water loss and muscle cramps.
It is always wise to get vaccinated as it lasts secures you for almost six months. Keep the drinking water clean and boil it before using, if possible. Also maintain personal hygiene and good sanitation.
In case one catches Cholera, oral rehydration should be given immediately. Also, though Choelra can be treated easily, it could prove dangerous if the treatment is not given on time.
This is another highly infectious disease that spreads during the monsoon season. This disease is caused by contaminated food and water. The worst part is that the infection of this disease can remain in the gall bladder of the patient even after he is cured. This could prove fatal for the patient.
The most common symptom of this disease is prolonged fever. Severe pain in abdomen and headache also indicate towards this disease.
This is a highly communicable disease so the patient should be isolated from the rest of the family. Getting a vaccination in advance also helps. The patients should get high intake of fluid to prevent dehydration.
Since this disease has a tendency of relapsing in two weeks time, so the patient should take utmost care. Precautions should continue even after apparent recovery.
This epidemic is generally caused by flies. It can also spread by coming in direct contact of the patient.
The symptoms of this disease are similar to flu i.e. high fever together with headache, pain in joints and vomiting.
The most important prevention of this disease is vaccination. This vaccine is available at all the government and private hospitals and should be taken by one and all as it is very deadly disease. The patient should be kept on complete bed rest and should be given a high calories diet, but fat and oily food should be avoided.
This is the most common disease that catches people cutting across age lines. You get wet and you’ve got it. Though it is difficult to forgo the temptation of dancing in the rain, this joy is likely to get you common cold.
Constant sneezing, sore throat and fever are the common symptoms of this disease.
The easiest way is to avoid getting yourself drenched in rain. But if you don’t want to miss out on the fun then make sure that you dry yourself completely once you are done with dancing. Keep the air-conditioner at a normal temperature and avoid ice-creams.
If you catch common cold then the best home made remedy is a glass of hot turmeric milk. Gargles with warm water give relief to your sore throat. If things don’t improve then it is always better to see a doctor.
It is time to put your dancing shoes on and start enjoying the rain. Just make sure you don’t catch any disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- BCCI announces full-strength squad for Bangladesh, Harbhajan Singh makes Test return
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared