Montgomerie hails Tiger`s fantastic Presidents Cup feat
London: European Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie says Tiger Woods`s 100 percent record at last week`s Presidents Cup was a fantastic achievement.
The world number one was in inspirational form in San Francisco, winning all five of his matches to lead the United States to a 19 1/2 - 14 1/2 victory over the International team.
"Five out of five is a fantastic feat," Montgomerie told reporters after playing nine holes with US Ryder Cup skipper Corey Pavin at Celtic Manor, venue for next year`s biennial team event.”
"A European has never achieved that in Ryder Cup play so it proves how special that kind of feat is.
"It will be difficult enough to try and regain the Ryder Cup without Tiger Woods, never mind if he`s back to top form and winning five points out of five. That would make our job even tougher," added Montgomerie.
Woods has collected 14 major titles but his performances in the Ryder Cup have been less spectacular, recording 10 wins and two halves from 25 matches.
Montgomerie said he was keen to have a strong Welsh influence on his team at Celtic Manor.
"I think (2006 captain) Ian Woosnam did the right thing in pre-empting that fact in Ireland, to have (Irishman) Des Smyth as one of his assistant captains," said Montgomerie.
"He was (also) fortunate enough to have three Irish players in the team with Darren Clarke, Padraig Harrington and Paul McGinley.”
"I might not have that here in Wales. If I don`t have a Welsh representative playing, I would like to have some sort of Welsh help in the background, with the fact 65 or 70 percent of the spectators will be Welsh.”
"(Welshman) Phil Price ... would be one of the potential candidates that might be in the backroom staff here if he doesn`t perform well and make the team on his own merit," added Montgomerie.
Both captains praised Celtic Manor and Pavin said it would make an ideal venue for the Ryder Cup.
"It`s a very straightforward golf course," said the American. "It`s difficult but everything is in front of you.”
"It`s a fair test of golf and there are no tricks out there. There are few pins that require a tremendous amount of knowledge ... it`s just a solid golf course from tee to green, beautifully laid-out."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?