More farmers seek return of Dadri land from Reliance Power
Ghaziabad:As many as 605 farmers approached the district authorities here today, taking the total number of those seeking return of land sold to Anil Ambani group`s Reliance Power in Dadri to 1,171.
The claims, the second such after 566 land owners moved the authorities on January 13, follows the December four Allahabad High Court order that quashed a portion of the state government`s 2004 notification for purchase of land for Reliance Power`s Dadri power plant.
"605 applications were received today, but we are yet to quantify the size of land being reclaimed," Additional District Magistrate(Finance) Sarvajeet Ram told over phone.
The window for filing applications for return of land will remain open till January 18.
Reliance Power has filed a special leave petition in the Supreme Court, appealing against the High Court order.
A Reliance Power spokesperson said the matter is before Supreme Court and is sub-judice and declined to comment.
The Anil Ambani group company had acquired 2,200 acres of land for the Rs 10,000 crore project.
Ghaziabad District Magistrate Ramesh Kumar told that he has assured farmers that "land will be returned to them if they are ready to return the compensation amount paid to them".
Over 500 farmers had earlier approached the district authorities seeking return of land sold to Reliance Power, but expressed their inability to repay the compensation in one-go.
The Allahabad High Court on December 4 had partially quashed the land acquisition by the company on the grounds that the government side-stepped a formality of inviting objections from land owners.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!