More farmers seek return of Dadri land from Reliance Power
Ghaziabad:As many as 605 farmers approached the district authorities here today, taking the total number of those seeking return of land sold to Anil Ambani group`s Reliance Power in Dadri to 1,171.
The claims, the second such after 566 land owners moved the authorities on January 13, follows the December four Allahabad High Court order that quashed a portion of the state government`s 2004 notification for purchase of land for Reliance Power`s Dadri power plant.
"605 applications were received today, but we are yet to quantify the size of land being reclaimed," Additional District Magistrate(Finance) Sarvajeet Ram told over phone.
The window for filing applications for return of land will remain open till January 18.
Reliance Power has filed a special leave petition in the Supreme Court, appealing against the High Court order.
A Reliance Power spokesperson said the matter is before Supreme Court and is sub-judice and declined to comment.
The Anil Ambani group company had acquired 2,200 acres of land for the Rs 10,000 crore project.
Ghaziabad District Magistrate Ramesh Kumar told that he has assured farmers that "land will be returned to them if they are ready to return the compensation amount paid to them".
Over 500 farmers had earlier approached the district authorities seeking return of land sold to Reliance Power, but expressed their inability to repay the compensation in one-go.
The Allahabad High Court on December 4 had partially quashed the land acquisition by the company on the grounds that the government side-stepped a formality of inviting objections from land owners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!