More pressure for London medal after Khel Ratna
New Delhi: Ace shooter Gagan Narang is not bothered by the weight of expectations but admitted that the pressure of winning a medal in 2012 London Olympics could be greater after being named for the Rajiv Khel Ratna Award, the country`s highest sporting honour.
"It`s an honour and it will motivate me to do better in the upcoming tournaments, including the Olympics, but the pressure could be more. That is inevitable," Narang said on Tuesday.
Narang missed out on a medal three years ago in Beijing Olympics and it still hurts him, but he is not unduly worried.
"I am not bothered. Every Olympic is a huge task, but I am better experienced right now," he said.
"For any big athlete pressure is inevitable, but the support we got in CWG has made us hand handle pressure better," he added.
The standard of Indian shooting has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years and Narang said gone are the days when shooters would have to wait for the last competition to qualify for the Olympics.
"Earlier we use to wait till the last event to qualify, but now already eight shooters have qualified," he said.
Narang, whose foundation `Gun for Glory`, is hosting the biggest ever prize-money shooting tournament in India next month, said he was doing his bit by helping young marksmen in his academy.
Asked about the Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ) which is supporting him, Narang said, "It is very focussed towards helping India win as many medals as possible in the London Games."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in