More pressure for London medal after Khel Ratna
New Delhi: Ace shooter Gagan Narang is not bothered by the weight of expectations but admitted that the pressure of winning a medal in 2012 London Olympics could be greater after being named for the Rajiv Khel Ratna Award, the country`s highest sporting honour.
"It`s an honour and it will motivate me to do better in the upcoming tournaments, including the Olympics, but the pressure could be more. That is inevitable," Narang said on Tuesday.
Narang missed out on a medal three years ago in Beijing Olympics and it still hurts him, but he is not unduly worried.
"I am not bothered. Every Olympic is a huge task, but I am better experienced right now," he said.
"For any big athlete pressure is inevitable, but the support we got in CWG has made us hand handle pressure better," he added.
The standard of Indian shooting has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years and Narang said gone are the days when shooters would have to wait for the last competition to qualify for the Olympics.
"Earlier we use to wait till the last event to qualify, but now already eight shooters have qualified," he said.
Narang, whose foundation `Gun for Glory`, is hosting the biggest ever prize-money shooting tournament in India next month, said he was doing his bit by helping young marksmen in his academy.
Asked about the Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ) which is supporting him, Narang said, "It is very focussed towards helping India win as many medals as possible in the London Games."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31