More than one third of jet fuel price is taxes: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Monday admitted in
Parliament that Central and state taxes made up for more than
one-third of the jet fuel price, corroborating the statement
of private airlines which had threatened to go on a `strike`
over their demand for a cut in the levies.
However, the government said, it did not control the
price of aviation turbine fuel (ATF) as it was a deregulated
The minister of state for petroleum and natural gas,
Jitin Prasada, told Rajya Sabha in a written reply that the Rs
37.48 per litre retail selling price of aviation turbine fuel
(ATF) in Mumbai comprised Rs 13.46 a litre in excise duty and
The basic price of the jet fuel in Mumbai, the nation`s
busiest airport, was Rs 24.02 per litre. Freight and other
cost add Rs 3.68 to the price while excise duty contributed Rs
2.28 a litre.
State sales tax is the biggest component, making up for
one-fifth or Rs 7.50 per litre, of the retail ATF price, he
Sales tax was the highest in Chennai adding Rs 9.03 to
the price and the lowest in Delhi where only Rs 6.05 a litre
was added. In Kolkata, the state government earned Rs 8.88
per litre from jet fuel sales.
Prasada said sales tax on petrol made for more than
one-fifth of the retail price of Rs 48.76 a litre on Mumbai.
The Maharashtra government earns Rs 11.77 from petrol. The
state government`s sales tax added Rs 7.88 in the Rs 36.70 a
litre sale price in Mumbai.
Delhi had relatively a lower sales tax, Rs 7.44 a litre
on petrol and Rs 3.90 per litre on diesel, he said.
State-run fuel retailers revise price of the fuel that
makes up for 40 per cent of the operating cost of airlines,
every fortnight based on the average international rates.
"The methodology adopted in fixing the price of ATF by
the public sector oil marketing companies at the airports is
based on the ex-refinery price of jet fuel which is linked to
the import parity price," Prasada said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!