More witnesses turn hostile in Sankararaman murder case
Puducherry: Four more witnesses turned
hostile on Thursday during their examination in a court here in the
trial of Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi
Sankaracharyas Jayendra Saraswathi and his deputy Vijayendra
Saraswathi are the prime accused.
A total of nine witnesses were examined by Special Public
Prosecutor N Devadoss in the court of Principal District and
Sessions Judge D Krishnaraja.
Four of them were treated hostile as they contradicted
the statements they had made in their deposition before the
police and a Kancheepuram court in Tamilnadu earlier.
Of the 32 witnesses examined so far, eleven witnesses
have turned hostile during examination or cross-examination.
Sankararaman, the Manager of the Sri Varadarajaperumal
temple in Kancheepuram, was murdered on September 3, 2004 by a
group of persons allegedly at the behest of the Sankaracharya.
The two seers have been charged under sections 120-B
(conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of Indian Penal code.
The Judge adjourned the trial to January 20, 2010 when
nine more witnesses would be examined. He also fixed January
21 for hearing approver in the case Ravi Subramaniam.
Of the 24 accused, only ten were present at the court
today. The two seers were among the absentees.
The trial was transferred to the Puducherry court in
October 2005 on the orders of the Supreme Court on a petition
by Jayendra Saraswathi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks