Mortal remains laid to rest
Puducherry: The mortal remains of Kerala
Governor M O H Farook were buried on Friday with full state
honors at the mausoleum near here.
Farook (74), former Puducherry Chief Minister, passed away
at the Apollo Hospitals in Chennai last night where he was
undergoing treatment since last month for kidney and other
A gun salute was accorded to the departed leader.
Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed, Chief Minister Arjun Munda
and Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Puducherry Lt Governor
Iqbal Singh, Chief Minister N Rangasamy, his cabinet
Colleagues and Union Minister in the Prime Minister`s office V
Narayanasamy were among those present at the burial ground.
Earlier, Defence Minister A K Antony, Union Minister
E.Ahmed and Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy paid homage to
the departed leader at his residence.
Others who paid their last respects included KPCC president
Ramesh Chennithala, some Kerala Ministers, PMK leader S
Ramadoss and former Union Minister E V K S Elangovan.
Antony in his condolence message said Farook was a source
of strength to the Congress and to the government and had
proved his capabilities in all positions he held including as
Ambassador of India to Saudi Arabia.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and former Chief Minister M
Karunanidhi were among the leaders who condoled the death.
Farook was sworn in as the 19th governor of Kerala last
September, prior to which he had occupied the gubernatorial
post in Jharkhand.
While Kerala has declared a seven-day mourning, the
government of the union territory of Puducherry, from where
Farook hails, declared a three-day mourning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?