Mosop breaks 30,000m track world record
Oregon (USA): Kenya`s Moses Mosop broke the 30-year-old world record for 30,000 meters run on a track here
at the Prefontaine Classic athletics meeting.
Mosop, 25, clocked 1hr 26minutes 47.4sec for the rarely
contested event. Along the way he broke the record for 25,000
meters run on the track with a time of 1hr 12min 25.4sec.
Both previous records had been set by Japan`s Toshihiko
Seko in Christchurch on March 22, 1981.
Seko clocked 1:13:55.8 for the 25,000m and 1:29:18.8 for
The race was part of special Distance Night festivities
on the eve of the main Prefontaine meeting, which is the
fourth stop in the prestigious Diamond League series.
Eight men lined up for the daunting 75-lap contest.
Mosop, the 2005 world championships bronze medallist in
the 10,000m, had lapped all the other runners with 16 laps --
6,400 meters -- to go.
The small but enthusiastic crowd, enjoying late summer
evening sunshine at Eugene`s Hayward Field, gave Mosop plenty
of encouragement as he completed his final lap, thrusting his
arms skyward after breaking the tape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened