Motorola unveils Android-powered smartphone
Washington: Motorola on Thursday unveiled a new smartphone, the Cliq, powered by Google`s Android software which the US handset maker hopes will help turn around its flagging fortunes.
Motorola co-chief executive Sanjay Jha previewed the touch-screen phone, which is to be available through US carrier T-Mobile, at the GigaOm Mobilize09 event in San Francisco.
"Android gives us a platform to innovate and enhance user experiences," he said.
Described as "the first phone with social skills," the Cliq is heavily geared toward social networking with easy access and features built around sites such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter.
For example, Jha said, caller ID on the phone will display the name of the incoming caller, their latest profile picture and latest status update.
The Cliq also features a camera and video camera and a full complement of Google mobile services such as Google calender, Google maps and built-in GPS.
Jha said the Cliq was one of two smartphones Motorola expected to release by the end of the year running Google`s open-source Android operating system.
The other device would be unveiled "in the coming weeks," he said, and both would hit store shelves in time for the holiday season.
"We expect (the Cliq) to be one of our hottest-selling devices in the fourth quarter," said T-Mobile chief technology officer Cole Brodman, who appeared on stage with Jha.
Google and T-Mobile released the first so-called "Google Phone," the T-Mobile G1, which is manufactured by Taiwan`s HTC Corp., in October of last year.
US wireless carrier Sprint Nextel and HTC announced plans last week to release a touch-screen mobile phone in October, the HTC Hero, powered by Android.
Motorola enjoyed success with its popular Razr phone launched in 2005 but has been losing ground since to Apple`s popular iPhone and Research in Motion`s Blackberry as well as other major cell phone makers such as Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional