Mountains give Contador chance to make up ground
Pinerolo: Three-times champion Alberto Contador, with ground to make up on his rivals, needs to draw on his fine climbing skills on Thursday in the first of two breath-sapping stages that could go a long way to deciding this year`s Tour de France winner.
Stage 18, a punishing 200.5-km trek, ends at 2,645 metres above ground level on top of the Col du Galibier, after going to the summit of the Col d`Agnel (2,744m) and the Col d`Izoard (2,360m).
Contador, arguably the best climber in the race, lies sixth overall 3:15 behind France`s Thomas Voeckler, who is expecting to lose his yellow jersey on Thursday.
The Spaniard, however, needs to claw back a near two-minute deficit on second-placed Cadel Evans and although the Australian does not fare as well as Contador in the high mountains, he will be a tough nut to crack.
The Schleck brothers, Frank and Andy, are third and fourth, 1:22 and 2:36 adrift of Voeckler respectively, with Spain`s Samuel Sanchez in fifth place 16 seconds ahead of Contador.
"It`s the `Queen stage` but the last part of the Galibier is very open and what will happen is going to depend on the wind," said Contador.
Andy Schleck said it could be make or break for the leading contenders on Thursday.
"It`s the decisive stage. Over 200 km, we will climb three times above 2,000 metres. It`s going to be the stage of the Tour," he said.
Voeckler, who has hung onto his yellow jersey for nine days, was pessimistic about his chances of retaining his overall lead.
"I could not follow them (the overall favourites) in the descent (into Pinerolo on Wednesday), I will probably not be able to follow them in the climb tomorrow," the Frenchman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened