Mourinho `bitter` at missing out on Portugal job
Lisbon: Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho admitted on Tuesday that he still felt "bitter" at not being able to take up the offer of coaching his native Portugal for two Euro 2012 qualifying games.
Portugal had asked if Mourinho could take the reins for the next two Euro 2012 qualifiers, following the dismissal of previous coach Carlos Queiroz, only for his club Real Madrid to block the move.
Mourinho, 47, said that while he could understand Real`s position he would have liked to help his national team.
"For two days I felt and I thought like the Portugal coach. And I liked it," he wrote in an article published on the website of the Association of Football Coaches.
"But I have to admit that Real Madrid is a giant institution, which `bought` me from Inter (Milan), who pay me, and who cannot run the risk faced with their shareholders and followers."
"In retrospect, it`s an easy decision to understand," said Mourinho, adding that he "still had a bitter taste at not being able to help the Seleccao".
Former Inter boss Mourinho, who last year won the second Champions League title of his career, wished new Portugal coach Paulo Bento the best.
"Portugal now have a coach and he should be recognised by everyone as `our coach` and `the best`," added Mourinho.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'