Mourinho rules out coaching Portugal
Madrid: Jose Mourinho will not accept an offer to take temporary charge of the struggling Portuguese national team for next month`s Euro 2012 qualifiers, the Real Madrid coach said on Friday.
Mourinho was approached by Portugal`s football federation (FPF) and asked if he would take over for the qualifiers at home to Denmark on Oct. 8 and away to Iceland four days later.
He told a news conference at Real`s training ground on Friday he was unable to accept the offer as he believed his club would not have reacted positively to his absence.
"For personal pride and passion for Portugal I couldn`t say no but I can`t say yes either," Mourinho said.
"My sense is that in the Real Madrid world it would have been interpreted negatively," he added.
"There would have to be total agreement and I don`t think that`s going to happen. Real Madrid has every right to make the decision they have. For me the issue is finished."
Portugal sacked Carlos Queiroz this month after he was suspended for six months for insulting anti-doping agents before the World Cup and have yet to name a replacement.
They have had a poor start to their qualifying campaign, with a 4-4 home draw against Cyprus and a 1-0 defeat in Norway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves