MTN Cameroon announces successful launch of MTN Virtual
New Delhi: MTN Cameroon, one of Africa’s leading telecommunications providers, today announced that it has successfully launched ‘MTN Virtual’, a service that considerably transforms the economics of individual telephony access and has enabled MTN to gain rapid entry into the vast and under-penetrated BOP (base of pyramid) consumer segment.
MTN Virtual is based on Comviva’s award-winning Virtual SIM solution. Virtual SIM requires no special handsets, SIM cards or additional client software - it works instantly on all mobile handsets.
By deploying Comviva’s Virtual SIM solution, MTN has been able to extend affordable communications to people unable to own a handset. Previously underserved segments can now make and receive calls, send and receive SMSs and make remittances, virtually, using other people`s phones. These consumers currently share phones with family and friends, use street side payphones managed by agents, or community phones.
With Virtual SIM they gain a unique mobile identity, with their own phone number and virtual phone account.
MTN Virtual has gained strong traction in the Cameroon market, gaining over 30,000 new subscribers in less than 8 months of operation.
Speaking about the success of MTN Virtual, Mr. Cielo Nzokiza, Consumer Segment Manager, MTN Cameroon, said, “With MTN Virtual, we have been able to reach new market segments, who were previously underserved. By extending mobile communications to both the base of pyramid segment – and to people who require an additional number, but only want one phone, we have tapped into strong, latent demand. With MTN Virtual we are introducing a whole new group of people to the power of mobile communications.”
Elaborating on the concept, Mr. Manoranjan Mohapatra, CEO, Comviva, said, “Comviva’s Virtual SIM solution helps operators drive mobile penetration to underserved segments, providing an entry level, affordable proposition for low income groups in emerging markets. It is an ideal solution to connect the unconnected 2.7 billion people, who already live in areas covered by mobile networks, but who are not yet mobile subscribers.”
“We see Virtual SIM as a critical element in enabling greater economic growth and well-being – the link between mobile penetration and economic growth being a well-established fact,” added Mohapatra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!