MTN Cameroon announces successful launch of MTN Virtual
New Delhi: MTN Cameroon, one of Africa’s leading telecommunications providers, today announced that it has successfully launched ‘MTN Virtual’, a service that considerably transforms the economics of individual telephony access and has enabled MTN to gain rapid entry into the vast and under-penetrated BOP (base of pyramid) consumer segment.
MTN Virtual is based on Comviva’s award-winning Virtual SIM solution. Virtual SIM requires no special handsets, SIM cards or additional client software - it works instantly on all mobile handsets.
By deploying Comviva’s Virtual SIM solution, MTN has been able to extend affordable communications to people unable to own a handset. Previously underserved segments can now make and receive calls, send and receive SMSs and make remittances, virtually, using other people`s phones. These consumers currently share phones with family and friends, use street side payphones managed by agents, or community phones.
With Virtual SIM they gain a unique mobile identity, with their own phone number and virtual phone account.
MTN Virtual has gained strong traction in the Cameroon market, gaining over 30,000 new subscribers in less than 8 months of operation.
Speaking about the success of MTN Virtual, Mr. Cielo Nzokiza, Consumer Segment Manager, MTN Cameroon, said, “With MTN Virtual, we have been able to reach new market segments, who were previously underserved. By extending mobile communications to both the base of pyramid segment – and to people who require an additional number, but only want one phone, we have tapped into strong, latent demand. With MTN Virtual we are introducing a whole new group of people to the power of mobile communications.”
Elaborating on the concept, Mr. Manoranjan Mohapatra, CEO, Comviva, said, “Comviva’s Virtual SIM solution helps operators drive mobile penetration to underserved segments, providing an entry level, affordable proposition for low income groups in emerging markets. It is an ideal solution to connect the unconnected 2.7 billion people, who already live in areas covered by mobile networks, but who are not yet mobile subscribers.”
“We see Virtual SIM as a critical element in enabling greater economic growth and well-being – the link between mobile penetration and economic growth being a well-established fact,” added Mohapatra.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended