Mueller and Klose give Bayern Supercup win
Berlin: Thomas Mueller and Miroslav Klose were on target in the last 15 minutes to give Bayern Munich a 2-0 win over Schalke 04 in the German Supercup on Saturday.
Mueller, who on Friday extended his contract with the club until 2015, opened the scoring in the 75th minute as coach Louis van Gaal chose to field five of the seven Bayern players in the Germany World Cup squad, even though they only started training this week.
Bayern substitute Andreas Ottl sent a long pass forward which Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer failed to clear and Klose left the ball to Mueller -- joint topscorer in South Africa with five goals -- who steered it into the empty net from the edge of the area.
Six minutes later, Ivica Olic twisted past his marker to deliver a low ball which Klose converted from close range.
The German Supercup, between the winners of the previous season’s Bundesliga and German Cup, was officially reinstated by the German federation this year after a 14-year absence.
As Bayern won the double last season, they met Bundesliga runners-up Schalke 04.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read