Mueller and Klose give Bayern Supercup win
Berlin: Thomas Mueller and Miroslav Klose were on target in the last 15 minutes to give Bayern Munich a 2-0 win over Schalke 04 in the German Supercup on Saturday.
Mueller, who on Friday extended his contract with the club until 2015, opened the scoring in the 75th minute as coach Louis van Gaal chose to field five of the seven Bayern players in the Germany World Cup squad, even though they only started training this week.
Bayern substitute Andreas Ottl sent a long pass forward which Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer failed to clear and Klose left the ball to Mueller -- joint topscorer in South Africa with five goals -- who steered it into the empty net from the edge of the area.
Six minutes later, Ivica Olic twisted past his marker to deliver a low ball which Klose converted from close range.
The German Supercup, between the winners of the previous season’s Bundesliga and German Cup, was officially reinstated by the German federation this year after a 14-year absence.
As Bayern won the double last season, they met Bundesliga runners-up Schalke 04.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- World's largest pearl to be displayed in Philippines
- India, US prepare blueprint for multi-agency centre to tackle terror activities
- Actor-politician Ramya refuses to apologise for 'Pakistan is not hell' remark
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month